Nina's Stillwater Calendar

Wednesday, November 14

The world comes to an end and then life goes on

I presented in topology yesterday. I use the term 'presented' loosely here. Maybe something more like 'mangled and destroyed a simple bit hyperbolic geometry'. I went home in shame and spent the evening vaccilating between a desire to cry and hide under my bed for the rest of the semester or quit grad school and head to Mexico. I still have to present again next week though (unless I go to Mexico, that is) so I went and asked a professor for help. I thought of asking him for help before, but I am not enrolled under him so I didn't want to bug him. So I crashed and burned instead. This time I went for help. And the sun came out and the birds started singing and I think I get how to solve my problem and get ready for next week's presentation. Lesson learned. I hope.

4 comments:

Mamapierce said...

I hear that Mexico is lovely this time of year...

M. O. said...

good luck!!

Unknown said...

Ay carumba!! Tu es una santa muy bella. You can do it. put a little power to it, and all that jazz. I have no idea what I'm saying, so adios senorita.

Barbara said...

Nina,

I'm not going to belittle your thought that you bombed the presentation. I just want to remind you that all of those professors you were talking in front of were also graduate students at one time. They know exactly what it feels like to be in your shoes and can empathize. I think they are aware of how hard you've worked all semester (maybe not necessarily on topology, but you've still worked hard). In any case, it's over and we are not defined by how well we do on an exam or in a presentation. Good luck preparing for next week!