Nina's Stillwater Calendar

Friday, September 28

Being Self-Centered

Like some 2-yr-old who keeps watching the same movie, my first question for Brad after wakeboarding last Saturday was "When can we go again?" And like the parent who doesn't really want to watch Pokemon again but gives in eventually anyway, Brad took me wakeboarding again on Thursday. I know cajoling someone into wakeboarding almost sounds like a favor, but Brad has been wakeboarding longer than I've been shaving and he has taught hundreds of people to get up on a board. So I suppose some of the novelty has worn off. I knew when I emailed him and called him to ask if we were going, when we were going, how we were going, that he really didn't want to go. But I still didn't say "If you don't want to go, it's alright." So maybe I am self-centered, but I thought I was making progress by noticing I was walking all over someone and even feeling a slight twinge of guilt about it. In fact, I felt quite good about myself until I got home that night.

Scott was already in bed so I turned off the light and crawled under the covers. Then Scott thanked me for turning off the light. And not just "Thanks." He had several sentences of thanks describing how much he appreciated me turning off the light. I was surprised since it was just a light and I only turned it off. It turns out I often crawl into bed, after Scott is already laying down, and leave the light on so that he has to get up to turn it off. By often I mean three times in the past week. And I've never noticed. Apparently I haven't made as much progress as I'd hoped.

No comments: