Nina's Stillwater Calendar

Wednesday, December 6

DHS & Chinese (update)

For a PhD in math I have to pass a language exam. I have to translate a math paper in some other language into English. Typically, the other language is French, German, or Russian because those are the most common languages for math papers to be written in (other than English). The graduate committee may decide to allow my language to be Chinese, even though not many math papers are written in Chinese. If they do, then studying Chinese would then be a required for my PhD and DHS would cover it for this year. I feel cheap doing this. I am apparently willing to ask my committee to twist the degree requirements slightly outside of their originally intended scope to make Chinese count. All for $977.

1 comment:

Jill said...

Yeah, Chinese ROCKS!