Nina's Stillwater Calendar

Saturday, February 23

International Bazaar

People say there isn't much to do in Stillwater, OK. We've got laser tag, and glow-in-the-dark mini golf, bowling, and a movie theater. That's it. Slim pickins. But that's all the traditional, you have to pay for it type stuff to do. Stillwater is a college town and so it has lots of other stuff to do, it just varies week to week.

Today we went to the International Bazaar. It's held once a year by the International Student Organization. All the country or ethnic-specific groups have a table where they sell food and crafts. There's also dancing and music although that totally sucked this year. What rocked was the food. We ate yummy meat pies and donuts at the Africa table, borscht at the Russia table, rice noodles at the Thai table, sticky rice caked steamed in banana leaves at the Vietnamese table, sushi at the Japanese table, samosas with an awesome green sauce at the Indian table, fry bread at the Native American table, lentil something or others at the Turkey table, savory fried things at the Lebanese table, and a fried banana bread at a table whose country of origin has completely slipped my mind. You see, I started with the fried banana bread and then ate WAY too much and the subsequent sugar coma affected my long term memory the most. I also bought this weird hat from Thailand, because, well, I have a thing for hats. Anyway, Scott and I spent < $20 on all that and everything except the fry bread was delicious. So who says there's nothing going on in Stillwater, OK?

5 comments:

Mamapierce said...

Oh, I loved the international festival! It's such a fun time. I like the hat you got. I only wish they would pass out the recipes for those tasty dishes...

Barbara said...

The fried banana bread was at the Indonesian table.

DB or not DB? said...

Man, we totally forgot this one. ;-(

Harry said...

oh, I missed it! must put on calendar for next year...

South To Stilly said...

I've never heard of the Bazaar, but will have to check it out for next year. 5 things to do in Stillwater, and counting. ;)