Nina's Stillwater Calendar

Thursday, February 28

Trombone Choir and Brass Quintet

During lunch today I listened to a performance by a trombone choir and a brass quintet at the library. The trombones were kinda cool, but the brass quintet (tuba, 2 trumpets, 1 french horn, and something else...?) was really awesome. It sounded amazing. I think with speakers and CDs it is easy to forget how amazing that sort of thing sounds live. There were cookies and iced tea. But no water. How hard is sticking a pitcher of water on the table with the tea? I know there were only a few no-iced-tea-drinking Mormons at the show, but there must be other people who just don't want an iced tea. Anyway, the show was great.

3 comments:

Mamapierce said...

Yes, I greatly enjoy brass quintets...I did, however, see a tuba recital once...that wasn't so exciting - especially when he would empty hit spit right onto the stage...

Anonymous said...

Brass quintet...2 trumpets, 1 french horn (no need to capitalize since it's not reaaly French), 1 trombone, and 1 tuba. They get some great pieces. I love woodwind quintets personally, being a bassoonist (woodwind player) and all. WW5, as they are sometimes known, is 1 flute, 1 clarinet, 1 oboe, 1 bassoon, and 1 french horn (I know it's brass, but it adds something so very cool to the sound), but our music tends to be more heady and less about the simple joy of making music. Thought you might like to know.

KC

Nina said...

Thank you KC! There will be a woodwind show at the library later this semester so I'll get to see some of the difference.